Software-Defined Networking: A Systems Approach
Software-Defined Networks (SDN) are transforming the Internet by replacing bundled, proprietary hardware and control software. SDN is being embraced by cloud providers, telcos, and enterprises, as it enables a new era innovation in networking. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to SDN from the perspective of those who are developing and leveraging the technology.
- Describes a complete SDN stack, illustrated with example open source software.
- Emphasizes underlying concepts, abstractions, and design rationale.
- Describes both fixed-function and programmable switching chips.
- Describes the P4-based toolchain for programming and controlling switches.
- Describes a range of SDN use cases: enterprises, datacenters, access networks.
- Includes hands-on programming exercises, downloadable from GitHub.